People have asked about this before. Some people don't want .gitignore
files because they like to see everything that's in their directories,
including generated files so they have a better idea of when something was
supposed to get generated but didn't, etc.

In the past people have simply added their own .gitignore (adding
'.gitignore' to it as well so it ignores itself). Someone once proposed
committing a .gitignore-template (or something similarly named) that a
developer can copy to .gitignore if they choose to (but this doesn't force
people that don't want .gitignore to use it).