Hi James,

Someone would need to propose to auto-format everything with clang-format
and convince the community
that while clang-format will never be perfect, it generates a systematic,
sane and just as readable codebase.
If we can reach consensus on that, we could add it as a commit hook and no
one will worry about formatting.

I dreamed of the world described above, but at least at the time
clang-format was still learning about some
of the C++11 constructs (especially around lambdas), so it seemed a bit too
far fetched.

My goal with clang-format currently is for people to have it integrated in
their editors to help them get 80, 90%
of the way there with single key-stroke, then follow-up with necessary
minor edits. We've been converging from
both sides to get that percentage higher (new features in clang-format +
modifying our style), and we'll continue
to make such efforts where it makes sense.

MPark