Hey folks. Microsoft is putting on their annual developer conference,
"//build", next week, so I don't have time to respond in detail, but I
did want to address the immediate questions of the .patch file and
contributing.

For contributing at the state of the art, the two most valuable things
you can do are (1) help with code reviews, or (2) help change the CI
system to build and test from CMake on both Windows and Linux. Writing
new code is not the bottleneck at this point -- we have a feature
branch with a working agent, and a finite number of commits (less than
100) that need to be reviewed and checked in. The big obstacles are
that the Windows build is consistently inadvertently broken because
there is no CI integration, and the fact that I personally have to
review every Windows patch that comes through. If you want to help
with these, I am happy to direct you on how to proceed.

To your question about the .patch file, this sounds like a bug. Can
you please tell me the SHA of your head, and also check that the file
has CRLF line endings in your local repository? We are building out of
VisualStudio, by the way, but I don't expect that to make a
difference. If this is a line ending issue we may need to add a
.gitattributes entry to make an exception for the patch files.

--
Alex

Theory is the first term in the Taylor series of practice. -- Thomas M
Cover (1992)