A random guess, but gdb tends to load shared libraries only after you do
"run" for the first time, maybe that's what's missing?

Apart from this, after installation mesos is just a normal c++ binary,
so you could bypass libtool by installing in some custom prefix (not
sure how to do this on mac) and then using gdb manually with `gdb --args
/usr/local/bin/mesos-master --work_dir= ...`

Also, I vaguely remember some build issues with flags not being passed
correctly to all third-party dependencies, so you probably want
"CFLAGS=-g3 CXXFLAGS=-g3" in your environment in addition to --enable-debug.

Best regards,
Benno