I think my point is that maybe we should have a discuss about:

* PCAP UI, goals etc
* Where it would live and why, what that would mean etc
* Backend ( this original mail )

On May 3, 2018 at 18:34:00, Michael Miklavcic (michael.miklav...@gmail.com)
wrote:

Otto, what are you and your customers finding useful and/or difficult from
a split management/alerts UI perspective? It might help us to restate the
original scope and intent around maintaining separate management and alert
UI's, to your point about "contrary to previous direction." I personally
don't have a strong position on this other than 1) management is a
different feature set from drilling into threat intel, yet many apps still
have their management UI combined with the end user experience and 2) we
should probably consider pcap in context of a workflow with alerts.

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 4:19 PM, Otto Fowler <ottobackwa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> On micro-services:
>
> 1. Our REST service already includes a lot of dependencies and is
> difficult to manage in it's current state. I just went through this on
> https://github.com/apache/metron/pull/1008. It was painful. When we
> tried to include mapreduce and yarn dependencies it became what seemed
like
> an endless NoSuchMethod, NoClassDef and similar errors. Even if we can
get
> it to work it's going to make managing our REST service that much harder
> than it already is. I think the shaded jars are the source of all this
> trouble and I agree it would be nice to improve our architecture in this
> area. However I don't think it's a simple fix and now we're getting into
> the "will likely take a long time to plan and implement" concern. If
> anyone has ideas on how to solve our shaded jar challenge I would be all
> for it.
> 2. All the MPack work listed above would also be required here. A
> micro-services pattern is a significant shift and can't even give you
> concrete examples of what exactly we would have to do. We would need to
go
> through extensive design and planning to even get to that point.
> 3. It would be a branch new component. See above plus any new
> infrastructure we would need (web server/proxy, service discovery, etc)
>
> On pcap-query:
>
> 1. I don't recall any users or customers directly using metron-api but
> if you say so I believe you :)
> 2. As I understand it the pcap topology and pcap query are somewhat
> decoupled. Maybe location of pcap files would be shared? MPack work here
> is likely to include adding a couple properties and moving some around so
> they can be shared. Deciding between Ambari and global config would be
> similar to properties we add to any component.
>
> I think you may be underestimating how difficult it's going to be to
solve
> our dependency problem. Or maybe it's me that is overestimating it :) It
> could be something we experiment with before we start on the pcap work.
> There is major upside and it would benefit the whole project. But until
> then we can't fit anymore more screwdrivers in the toolbox. For me the
> only reasonable options are to use the existing metron-api as it's own
> separate service or call out to the pcap_query.sh script from our
existing
> REST app. I could go either way really. I'm just not excited about all
> the MPack code we have to write for a new component. Maybe it won't be
> that bad.
>
> On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 2:50 PM, Otto Fowler <ottobackwa...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > First thought is why the Alerts-UI and Not a dedicated Query UI?
> >

> > On May 3, 2018 at 14:36:04, Ryan Merriman (merrim...@gmail.com) wrote:
> >
> > We are planning on adding the pcap query feature to the Alerts UI.
Before