Shane,

Can you elaborate on the testing model you're proposing? I looked through
the overview and some of the documentation. As far as I can tell, this
would effectively be and e2e test for the UI *only*, so we would be missing
testing the actual integration points with the REST API or any other
potential endpoints.

   1. Are you proposing we migrate all existing e2e tests, including those
   that currently hit Elasticsearch?
   2. Would shifting to Cypress mean that all e2e tests would be isolated
   to only what is rendered via the browser? i.e. our e2e suite is no longer
   testing integration to a backend?

My assumption with the term e2e testing is that you are testing an entire
vertical slice with no substantive mock/stub/fake/spy/dummy [1] in the way
except for maybe some strategic cross-cutting concerns. It sounds like
Cypress does NOT mean full e2e. My initial reaction to this is that there's
a place for both forms of testing. If Cypress would help UI developers work
on incremental changes, similar to how unit tests via JUnit help Java
developers iterate on features, then I think that's great. I'm all for
that! But unit tests are only one form of testing - we also do integration
testing, which can flex multiple classes/components together, as well as
more broad stack integration/functional testing that verifies everything
works when integrated together. Generally speaking, total # of unit tests >
# of integration tests > # functional/acceptance tests. I think we should
carve out and define a testing approach for each. Can you elaborate a bit
on your vision for how to manage the test interactions, or lack thereof,
with the REST API as an integration endpoint? [2]

At the time the write-up James shared was written, it appears that Cypress
was not yet open source. Now, it's MIT license -
https://github.com/cypress-io/cypress/blob/develop/LICENSE.md.

Mike

1.
https://martinfowler.com/articles/mocksArentStubs.html#TheDifferenceBetweenMocksAndStubs