Wow, interesting! That would provide a huge speedup for most apps, I
would think. Interesting that for the server VM in 1.5 there's really
no difference.

BTW I found this following Crazy Bob's blog:

http://crazybob.org/2007/01/fast-reflection.html

He seemed to get a 40% speedup on Java 5, but doesn't give details
about the operation's he's using. There's a comment there also saying
that if you turn off the security checks you can get close to direct
speed (although Bob says he was doing that - maybe that's why he sees
more difference than you).

BTW mina-sm looks excellent, very interesting design. I haven't tried
it but I'll play around with it if I get a chance.

Cheers,
Colin