On Jan 21, 2008 1:07 AM, Trustin Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> And, I personally think providing the codecs for essential protocols
> such as HTTP, FTP and SMTP as a part of the main MINA distribution
> makes a developer's life much easier when what he wants is just a
> minimal client / server.  That's what I've been talking in ApacheCons
> and you can see that clearly in my slide files, which were uploaded in
> the official site since 2005.  It's interesting that nobody argued
> about the road map I proposed since then.  Actually we got some
> positive feed back related with the HTTP codec from users due to this
> decision.

That's all well and good, but I doubt anyone understood that the method
utilized would be to lobotomize and existing project in order to grow the
core codecs.  As an original and core committer of the AsyncWeb project over
at Safehaus, when I was asked to give permission for the code to be donated
to the Apache Mina project, the impression was *not* that it was going to be
gutted and absorbed into the Mina core.   My impression was that Mina was
going to host AsyncWeb until we gained enough momentum to enter the
incubator of our own accord. In fact, the Directory-Mina model was
specifically noted as an example.

I'm not arguing that Mina doesn't need a HTTP codec in its core, but I
certainly don't agree that codec should be an absorption of the AsyncWeb
codebase.  I believe the AsyncWeb project has a lot of potential as a
separate project on its own, and I've very exciting that it is finally in
ASF where we can start to build a thriving community around it.

I know my vote doesn't count for anything in the Mina project, but as one of
the AsyncWeb contributors at Safehause, I've got to give this proposal a

-1