On Feb 5, 2008 10:04 AM, Julien Vermillard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Feb 2008 09:53:27 +0100
> "Maarten Bosteels" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 5, 2008 9:17 AM, Julien Vermillard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Apparently it's doable, the timeout value is multiplicated by 1000
> > > before being placed in the ConnectionRequest deadline.
> > > As far I understand it, it's not a big deal but an API change.
> >

> > +1 for sub-second timeout values
> > And I think it's best to change the API now, before cutting 2.0-M1
> > How about adding a java.util.concurrent.TimeUnit parameter to
> > setConnectTimeout() ?
> >
> > Maarten
> >

> > > Julien
> > >

> I think specifying a millisecond param is enough, nobody will pass
> hour/day/month/picosecond based timeout values. It'll complexify the
> API for no much gain.

I agree that nobody will pass in hours or days, but IMHO  it improves
readability a lot:

connector.setConnectTimeout(250, TimeUnit.MILLISECONDS);
or
connector.setConnectTimeout(250);

Especially when one is changing the API from seconds to millis, we should
try to make
it unambiguous and it's inline with a lot of the java.util.concurrent API.

Maarten