This sounds like an excellent approach to merging the efforts.

Rick

Mike Heath wrote:
I've been looking into merging
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/async-http-client-mina2/
into http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/mina/asyncweb/trunk/client/ and I'm
trying to figure out the best way to proceed.  Here are some of the pain
points I see:
 - The only redeeming quality about the AsyncWeb client is that it uses
the AsyncWeb codec.
 - There are a few things in AHC that duplicate functionality already
available in MINA (timeouts for example)
 - The AHC codec and the AsycnWeb codec have diverged quite a bit.

To resolve these pain points, here is how I would like to proceed.  I
would like to copy the AHC async-http-client-mina2 code as is into the
AsyncWeb client repository.  Because  AHC and AsyncWeb client use
different package names, there shouldn't be any conflicts doing this.
Once that is done, we can look at removing the AHC code that
reimplements functionality available in MINA.  As long as all the tests
are passing, we should be fine and if there are gaps in testing, we
should fill those.

Once that is done, we can look at refactoring the AHC code base to use
the AsyncWeb codec while at the same time, make sure that the AsyncWeb
codec isn't missing any functionality that is implemented in AHC.

I think at this point, we can rename the AHC packages and move it over
top the current AsyncWeb client.  Am I missing anything in AsyncWeb
client that needs to merged into AHC?  It's only four classes and I
didn't see anything in there that isn't available in AHC.

Before going ahead and doing this, I wanted to know what everyone else
thinks of this plan.  Does anyone else have a different idea as to how
best to undertake this merge?  Am I missing anything?

-Mike

Sangjin Lee wrote:
Yeah I believe so (as far as I can tell).  It was more or less a
straightforward porting, so there might be interesting and subtle behavior
changes we may need to look at.  But it should be a good solid baseline.
Thanks,
Sangjin