Jeff Genender wrote:

> Mike Heath wrote:
>> Jeff Genender wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>> I think this timeout is a different timeout in implementation...that is
>>> unless this was added to 2.0, then duplication may be correct.  Its a
>>> response timeout, not socket timeout...I think thats different.
>>
>> MINA has support for triggering events for read idle, write idle, or
>> both.  See IoSession.setIdleTime(IdleStatus, int) in MINA 1.x and
>> IoSession.getConfig().setIdleTime(IdleStatus,int) in MINA 2.  The idle
>> events get handled by IoHandler.sessionIdle(IoSession, IdleStatus) in
>> both versions.
>
> Will idle work here?  The Mina FAQ states that sessionIdle cannot be
> used in a request-response timeout:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/25gnja
>
> Also, with pipelining, can idle time even be used?

What the FAQ is saying is that the idle event wont tell you which
request message was issued when the timeout occured.  So using an idle
read to detect an unresponsive connection is perfectly legitimate.

I don't see why using idle wouldn't work for pipelining.  If the session
times out, it gets closed which would cause any pending requests to fail
anyway.

I may just be presumptuous.  Am I missing something?

-Mike