I find the FTPserver still useful. I personally use it in some other
project I am involved with in order to provide a test environment for (also
Apache) FTP(S) client.

While it might not be actively maintained, there are still issues being
opened on it (I myself opened such an issue), so perhaps we should not
disappoint our still loyal users. I am willing to devote some time to
contribute to it as well - though, for obvious reasons, not as much as I am
spending on SSHD, and it will take me some time to become familiar with the
project.

Lyor