From: Qiang Kou <q...@umail.iu.edu<mailto:q...@umail.iu.edu>>
Sent: Thursday, July 6, 2017 3:41 PM
Subject: Re: Rcpp licensing in Apache MXNet
To: <dev@mxnet.incubator.apache.org<mailto:dev@mxnet.incubator.apache.org>>

Hi, Felix,

I just want to make sure there is no misunderstanding between us.

(1) The MXNet R package heavily used the Rcpp package, but we only include
the
header file, Rcpp.h, like https://github.com/dmlc/mxnet/
blob/master/R-package/src/base.h#L11

The MXNet R package doesn't contain any source code from Rcpp and there is
no linking against Rcpp.

(2) There is "LinkingTo: Rcpp" in the R package description (
https://github.com/dmlc/mxnet/blob/master/R-package/DESCRIPTION#L32).
However, this only means we want to use the header files from Rcpp.

"A package that wishes to make use of header files in other
packages needs to declare them as a
comma-separated list in the field ‘LinkingTo’ in the DESCRIPTION file. "

More details can be found from R's official manual (
https://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/r-release/R-exts.
html#Package-Dependencies).

(3) Many R packages who use Rcpp to communicate with C++ have been released
under Apache License, like feather (https://github.com/wesm/
feather/blob/master/R/DESCRIPTION).

Best,

Qiang Kou

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Felix Cheung
<felixcheun...@hotmail.com<mailto:felixcheun...@hotmail.com>>