Hello,

-1 (non binding)

Who is going to be responsible for changes breaking tests and having other
side effects after they have been merged? I'm afraid that this will harm
further development. At the moment I'm the responsible person for setting
up the new CI and so far have my results shown that not the CI itself is
the problem but also the stability of our code as well as the tests
themselves. At the moment we are having big issues to get a stable CI
because MXNet seems to be relying on so specific architectures,
dependencies and other factors which I'm not even able to track down that
this causes everything to be unstable.

Just to point it out: If we encounter so many problems while setting up a
CI system, doesn't that mean that our users and customers are also going to
face those issues as soon as things are getting more complicated? This is a
red flag in my opinion and I'm really looking forward to the usability
Sprint, but at the moment I'm afraid that an unprotected master will make
the situation even worse. It's already enough work to isolate and fix the
current issues, but if new untested changes get merged, this is going to be
like fighting a wildfire with a bottle of water.

So please revise your thoughts. If anybody is blocked by the protected
master, I would really appreciate it if they could approach me personally
in order to help stabilising the current situation. Just feeding in more
and more changes on one end while we're fixing issues on the other end
won't get us anywhere.

Best regards,
Marco