A possible compromise could be that we turn off protection for master
branch for the Apache infra only with plans to turn protection back on when
new CI is up.

Furthermore, if something is merged in prematurely that breaks master for
some number of time (ie 3), then we turn protection back on immediately and
without a vote (in order to enforce great care by those who would vote for
protection to stay off).  These failures could be broadcast on dev and why
they shouldn’t count as one of the three can be disputed there.  To turn
protection off again would require another vote.