My +1 vote stands. The vote is about what we should do right now, not where we
should be ideally in 3 months. I don’t think we can move forward without
disabling the branch protection, because current CI is not in any state to base
the merge-decisions on. For example, here’s why:
1. Master branch protection is currently on. A change that breaks build was
still merged in on the 16th despite the protection. I wasn’t able to merge the
fix in yesterday for 8 hours because the CI tests fail.
2. False negative rate is currently too high (see the red crosses in
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pulls and
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/commits/master)

People who are working on test infrastructure might say that it’s “enough work
to isolate and fix the current issues”, and I can certainly relate to that. On
the other hand, you too can probably empathize with the developers who has
“enough work to develop new features and write tests” without having to deal
with the broken CI. (note that my argument is on the CI system, and flaky test
cases are a separate issue).

Regarding “doesn't that mean that our users and customers are also going to
face those issues”, I honestly don’t think the argument stands. Release cycles
and distribution channels, as well as the safety measures are there exactly to
isolate the problems to the development branch and protect the users. If
anything, turning on branch protection on release branches should suffice.

Finally, master branch protection being off doesn’t mean PRs can be merged
without being tested. Contributors own the code quality and are responsible for
the changes. Committers and reviewers are there to ensure that merged changes
are OK.

Best regards,
-sz