Manfred,

I agree the shared classes is the most important issue to focus on.  I
also agree -1 on repackaging them.  We would live to regret that
decision.

I agree that changing what's in the endorsed lib dir would fix the
problem and ultimately when users have a problem with JBoss, etc. they
go to the Wiki (or are referred there by our friendly user list) and
realize the problem.

I am leaning against the separate jar for a few reasons.  One is that
is makes tomahawk more cumbersome to use with the RI.  Lots of people
will be using the RI and now you need two jars to make it run instead
of just tomahawk.jar.  The second is that we are no longer consistent
with the RI in terms of having just two jars for the implementation
(myfaces-impl.jar and myfaces-api.jar.)

Craig has lobbied strenuously for MyFaces to keep this easy to
understand approach.  I agree that everything is made easier if the
implementations are consistent in terms of the number and naming of
the jar files.

Finally, compatability problems could become worse as a result of this
solution instead of better.  People will eventually forget to update
myfaces-shared.jar and then they will be reporting bugs because they
have the new tomahawk.jar but not a new myfaces-shared.jar.

The problem we are trying to solve is an important one and we
shouldn't give up thinking about possible solutions but so far, I
haven't heard any that will make things better for the vast majority
of users.

sean