It might be worthwhile to check out some of the stuff proposed by HLS for
tapestry 5-- I do like the way he/others are handling bindings instead of
exposing them to the end developer.  The way bindings/attributes are handled in
JSF are by far the worst aspect of the API (maybe a close second to statesaving
requirements).

Some of the other ideas he's proposing around queuing commands/events for post
processing on submit are pretty interesting, but I'm intrigued as to how the N
iteration cases will be handled and if the state size would get just as bad as
with JSF, where JSF forces some of these events to backing beans in other
scopes, not serialized.  I had discussed some similar ideas around pushing a 2
phase component lifecycle (encode/decode) and queueing events for processing
with literal references, consolidating to only 2 tree walks.

Also, avoiding mapping parent/child relationships within the component itself
might be something to look at.  This would allow us to have components that
exist in different lifecycles, much like EJBs, instead of forcing transient
relationships upon child branches.  This can be solved a couple ways: either
through injection like the other APIs, or via the filter pattern, passing in a
pointer to the children when you process a given event.

It'd be cool if Sun started a JSF 2.0 project on Java.net to start publishing
ideas in wiki format to get better community input.

-- Jacob