After checking against ri and spec; I think we do it in the right way.

The component type in htmlcolumntag is javax.faces.column and the
component-type in standard-config for htmlcolumn is javax.faces.HtmlColumn.

The error I get;

Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException : Component
javax.faces.component.UIColumn is no HtmlColumn
    at org.apache.myfaces.taglib.html.HtmlColumnTag.setProperties(
HtmlColumnTag.java:71)

Happened in testing tomahawk 1.2 with myfaces 1.2.1-snapshot, another test
with plain myfaces(no tomahawk-1.2 around) worked. So I dont think there's a
need for a change in the plugins for now.

But I cant figure how this is related to tomahawk though since I just use
h:datatable and h:column.