Hi!
> It so happens, I have been looking for this sort of a solution.

:-) Yea, I wonder why no one else have had a need for this too. It is a
common use-case in our application.

> In my case, I have a table with three columns, with three headings.

<snip />

Do you mean something like this:
A table with, say 10 columns. First column is a description and then 3x3
columns with some values.
As header you'd like to have:
1) 4 columns where the first column is a spacer for the description
columns and then 3 columns where each spans 3 detail columns to describe
the group of the spanned columns
2) another header with 10 column to describe exactly each column of the
column

I am working on a solution for this too as I need exactly this kind of
thing too.

Header 2 should be possible with the current solution, just use f:facet
name=header on either the master table or detail table depending on if
you'd like to have the header repeated each time.
Header 1 requires some additional thoughts, but I think I'll introduce
someting like a facet name="headerStamp" where you'll be able to define
a header which a complete different set of columns.
You just have to ensure that the number of columns (including all the
callspan) match with all used tables.

Ciao,
Mario