Mario, you are not alone in hating the shared concept.  ;-)

This is exactly where the "myfaces-commons-xxx" library comes into
play, I often mentioned before.
What we need is a module, that
1) has a super stable API
2) is used (ie. shared) by the myfaces core(!) as well as other myfaces projects
3) may be used by the experienced JSF app developer who wants to write
his own StateManager or ELResolver or some other pluggable/replaceable
JSF thingy (ie. all the things you can replace via faces-config.xml)

Problem here again is the name of such a lib:
"myfaces-commons-base"?
"myfaces-commons-core"?
"myfaces-commons-super"?
"myfaces-commons-commons"?   ;-)

The name MUST reflect the fact that this jar is a very basic lib all
other JSF stuff depends on. It is no place where we swiftly drop some
nice and convenient utils stuff and the API is nothing to play around
with.

I think that if we find a good name and define some strict rules we
could move most (or all?) stuff from myfaces-shared to this lib. And
perhaps even get rid of shard in the long run!

Of course, some well-known issues pop up immediately: which JSF-Spec -
1.1 and 1.2 or only 1.2? What about JSF 2.0?

Thoughts?

--Manfred

--
http://www.irian.at