Hi!
> Mario, you are not alone in hating the shared concept.  ;-)

Good!

> 1) has a super stable API

That is true, that might be the hardest part.

> 2) is used (ie. shared) by the myfaces core(!) as well as other myfaces
> projects

Sure!

> 3) may be used by the experienced JSF app developer who wants to write
> his own StateManager or ELResolver or some other pluggable/replaceable
> JSF thingy (ie. all the things you can replace via faces-config.xml)

Yepp!

> Problem here again is the name of such a lib:
> "myfaces-commons-base"?
> "myfaces-commons-core"?
> "myfaces-commons-super"?
> "myfaces-commons-commons"?   ;-)

I'd opt for myfaces-base, but to say the truth, I do not care about the
name, whatever name it has will be good for me as long as the goal is
the same.

> It is no place where we swiftly drop some
> nice and convenient utils stuff and the API is nothing to play around
> with.

+1

> I think that if we find a good name and define some strict rules we
> could move most (or all?) stuff from myfaces-shared to this lib. And
> perhaps even get rid of shard in the long run!

One rule can be to allow only stuff which itself directly implements a
JSF API but do not provide any functionality on its own, you see, no
enum converter or soo. Probably only abstract classes?

> Of course, some well-known issues pop up immediately: which JSF-Spec -
> 1.1 and 1.2 or only 1.2? What about JSF 2.0?

I'd like to see one project per version, e.g. myfaces-base11,
myfaces-base12, myfaces-base20 (with namespaced package names:
org.apache.myfaces.base11, etc)
This might lead to code duplication for every new project, but is the
only way I can think of making it possible for this project to succeed.
It would not be nice if myfaces-base12 has to deal with
backward-compatibility.
Parts of myfaces-base12 MIGHT be backward-compatible, e.g. like any
FacesContextWrapper. But there is no need for that, we can't forsee any
future change e.g. in JSF 2.0

Ciao,
Mario