Scott and Andrew,
The goal is to make it easy for a user to get the demo up and running with minimal frustration. Since I am not currently working in a J2EE environment, my desire to quickly get the demo running in order to test the 1.2.8 release did not include a J2EE server. I dropped the war in an available Tomcat server and then had to determine why the demo failed to run. After determining the I need a JSTL jar, I was able to test the release.

I make the following suggested solutions, in order of preference:

1) "distribute" a non-J2EE Demo and Blank either in the existing Example distribution or in an non-J2EE distribution.

2) Add installation instruction that include instructions for J2EE and non-J2EE environments. The instructions, including any required jars, should be included in the .zip/.tar.gz file.

3) Add instructions on building a non-J2EE environment from the source.

What ever solution is chosen, the instructions should also be on the Demo's web page[1].

Paul Spencer

[1]http://myfaces.apache.org/trinidad/trinidad-1_2/trinidad-demo/index.html

Scott O'Bryan wrote:
Andrew,

Yeah, that's what I proposed. Paul wants us to "distribute" the non-j2ee version with our examples...

Scott

Andrew Robinson wrote:

We can relatively easily create a tomcat profile that could be used to
deploy onto tomcat by changing the dependency scope from to provided
to compile right?

Just as we have the jetty profile and the jetty plugin registered, we
can do the same for tomcat I think.

The drawback of course is maintaining the poms for different servers

-Andrew