Werner,

according to here:
http://www.apache.org/dev/git.html

we need to provide the following information, for the INFRA jira ticket:
    * Name of the codebase, for example "Apache Tika"
    * Name of the requested Git mirror, for example "tika.git"
    * Subversion path of the codebase, for example "/lucene/tika/"
    * Subversion layout, in case it is different from the standard
"trunk, branches, tags" structure.

I think we may start with MyFaces core? Or do you think we should add
*all* the subprojects?

For MyFaces CORE, I'd suggest the following:
Name of the codebase: Apache MyFaces
Name of the requested Git mirror: myfaces_core.git
Subversion path of the codebase: /myfaces/core/

-Matthias

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 8:56 AM, Matthias Wessendorf <mat...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Werner Punz <werner.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Matthias Wessendorf schrieb:
>>>
>>> Hi fellow contributors and committers,
>>>
>>> a recently common asked question is:
>>> "Is it possible for an ASF project (-> myfaces and its subprojects) to
>>> use git ?"
>>>
>>> The answer is:
>>> Yes and no. All projects need to use svn as the central store of all
>>> source code, but individual committers and contributors can use git as
>>> an "alternative svn client". See http://git.apache.org/ and
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/general/GitAtApache for the currently available
>>> tools and some initial documentation.
>>>
>>> So, question is now, do we (Apache MyFaces) want such a read-only git
>>> mirror ?
>>>
>>> If yes, I'd be more than happy to run this on the
>>> "infrastructure-...@apache.org" list.
>>>
>> Just to give a short summary why a read only mirror is preferrable over
>> a full git-svn checkout.
>> The git mirror would allow git deltas to be downloaded instead of single
>> svn commits, which would make the initial checkout (git mirror) way faster!
>>
>> As for svn externals, git-svn cannot deal with externals directly
>> but there are workarounds like using git subprojects or
>> using symlinks. I personally prefer nowadays git over svn even despite the
>> fact that only Intellij and a handful of editors have decent git
>> integration. Git is simply so much better in dealing with day to day
>> versioning tasks that going back to plain svn is painful!
>>
>> Werner
>
> ok... let me now bring it up on infrastructure-...@apache.org.
>
> -Matthias
>

> --