On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 7:41 AM, Werner Punz <werner.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ah lovely saturday morning and a general technology discussion.
>
> Ok here is the deal, it is a very common practice to use git for local
> versioning and svn or cvs for hosting the code (I do that very often). There
> are downsides to this practice. First of all git-svn does not have
> external parsing. Git has a similar mechanism subprojects but there is no
> bridget between git and svn in this regard, you have to symlink for instance
> manually to match the externals.
>
> Secondly it is a speed issue as well. Git is a distributed filesystem which
> does most operations locally and delegates the server to a storage system
> only. Which means you have local branches and local commit histories (one of
> the reasons why I use it) but the downside is it mirrors literally all
> revisions into you local filesystem (which is not as bad as it sounds since
> it stores the revisions very efficiently, way more than svn does) which
> means the initial mirror of a bigger project takes a very long time. And
> there the apache infrastructure which by far
> is not our idea comes into the game, having a read only git mirror
> speeds up this process much more swiftly.
>
> As for Andrews argument, this is no bothering from our side, as it seems the
> infrastructure people have been working on this for almost a year now and
> now have a stable infrastructure and many projects have moved
> towards this read only mirror.

+1 exactly and I thought that when I provide some links
(git.apache.org, the wiki pages etc) it makes it clear
that this is not something that Werner and I are doing :-)

Anyway there is a looooooooooooooooooooong on-going
discussion regarding GIT; pros/cons all the FUD etc. is
discussed on the members list (private, only for members).

I recommended to make it more open (community@ for instance);
Let's see where we heading

Also, if you follow some of the "Apache blogs" you also see that some
folks *care* about GIT .... (not only the two of us)

-Matthias

>>> http://texagon.blogspot.com/2008/02/use-mercurial-you-git.html