Hi Chris,

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 2:48 AM Christopher Collins <ch...@runtime.io>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have implemented a feature in newt: the ability to run custom shell
> commands at build time.
>
> <https://github.com/apache/mynewt-newt/pull/335>
>
> Is there any extra functionality that you'd like to see here?  All
> comments are appreciated.  I am duplicating the PR text here, but the
> formatting is a little nicer in the PR.

This looks very good! I was thinking if it would be possible to reference
other targets (i.e. artifacts) from scripts but with the latest addition of
shared folder this does not seem to be a problem since it can be also
shared with another newt build invoked from script and we can copy/write
data there. I did not yet check how this work in practice but will give it
a try and perhaps then I'll have some extra ideas.

> Thanks,
> Chris
>
> ---
>
> A package specifies custom commands in its `pkg.yml` file.  There are
> two types of commands: 1) pre_cmds (run before the build), and 2)
> post_cmds (run after the build).
>
> ### EXAMPLE
>
> Example (apps/blinky/pkg.yml):
>
>     pkg.pre_cmds:
>         scripts/pre_build1.sh: 100
>         scripts/pre_build2.sh: 200
>
>     pkg.post_cmds:
>         scripts/post_build.sh: 100

I assume these are relative to package root so perhaps we could assume
there is scripts/ subdir and execute from there by default? Just the same
as we have src/ and include/.

Best,
Andrzej