Hello fellow developers :-)

So, Miguel and I have been working on unifying Newtmgr into the MCUmgr repo
(https://github.com/apache/mynewt-mcumgr). There are no protocol level
changes, since MCUmgr(SMP) and Newtmgr(NMP) were the same and so,
everything should work off the bat for everybody.

The PRs related to this change are:
1. https://github.com/apache/mynewt-core/pull/1917
2. https://github.com/apache/mynewt-mcumgr/pull/27
3. https://github.com/apache/mynewt-nimble/pull/577

We have also added a transient package for backwards compatibility. So,
this should be a fairly smooth transition for everybody.

Details about the change:

   - Replace newtmgr with SMP and MCUmgr
   - The change addresses issue #1871
   <https://github.com/apache/mynewt-core/issues/1871>
   - Make stats, logs and img_mgmt work with MCUmgr
   - Make default group commands work with MCUmgr
   - Add transient packages for backwards compatibility
   - Update apps to have the updated dependencies
   - Add syscfgs for MGMT commands Eg: CONFIG_MGMT, STATS_MGMT, LOG_MGMT,
   etc
   - Make OICMGR use OMP from MCUmgr
   - Transition from Newtmgr -> SMP
   - Remove cborattr and update cborattr in MCUmgr
   - Fix builds for log version 2
   - We are also removing support for log_fcb_slot1 since it is not really
   used by the community or any modules in the core repo.
   - Updating mynewt port of MCUmgr
   - Adding Stats, Logs, datetime and other default commands support to
   MCUmgr
   - Changing mgmt_group_register() in MCUmgr so that it allows
   re-registration of command groups
   - Fix dependency and build issues in MCUmgr for mynewt port and apps
   - Adding support for log version 3 and image hash changes
   - Adding support for image management lazy erase
   - Adding support for config mgmt
   - Updating cborattr in MCUmgr to have similar support as mynewt-core
   - Fix unit tests and add some more for cborattr just like in mynewt-core
   - Change log_mgmt to use fragmenting so that an entry can be divided
   into smaller chunks while reading.
   - Fix mynewt port of os_mgmt
   - Add changes for backwards compatibility
   - Add sample app: omp_svr for trying out OICMGR over BLE/Serial
   - Fix reboot_log for soft resets

Some more stuff that would follow after this change would be:
1. Release version for MCUmgr
2. Unifying MCUmgr tool

Also, there were a lot of fixes that got in as part of this effort in the
MCUmgr repo. I do encourage everybody to try it out.

--

Regards,
Vipul Rahane