Hi Rodrigo,

On Fri, Dec 02, 2016 at 12:30:12PM +0100, Rodrigo Lorenzo Leal wrote:
> OK so pre shared key is my best option I guess.
>
> What I don't understand is, if is possible to have pre-shared key, that is
> accesible through the cloud, why I cannot generate a key on the cloud and
> access it doing a request, from both the app and the device (through GPRS).
>
> Maybe is not a OOB pairing in the strict Bluetooth protocol definition of
> the word, but what I want to do is encrypt the BLE communication with a key
> that is not exchange via Bluetooth.

Mynewt does not currently support this.  The nimble host only issues an
LE Start Encryption HCI command to the controller after a successful
pairing or bonding restoration, and the application has no say over the
specified key.  In other words, there is no way bypass the pairing
process and inject a key of your own.  That said, I don't think it would
be too much work to implement this feature.

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but will iOS really let
you use an external key for BLE encryption?  Just based on my limited
experience with CoreBluetooth, I wouldn't expect this functionality to
be exposed.

Thanks,