On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 02:15:37PM -0700, Jonathon Blake wrote:
> Christian wrote:
>
> > Doesn't make this charset more useful for people that have nothing to do
> > with NK (and that is my point)
>
> The KP 9566 character set was what Sun Legal rejected.

Sure but you then "argumented" that Unicode covers the characters of
that codepage. And this is irrelevant.

>  CF University of Washington: Seattle, WA.
> > ? You have to give more information.
>
> It just happens to have the second or third largest Korean library in
> North America.

Do they sell/distribute their library? Do they provide documents using
this encoding?

And how does this relate to North Korea in special?

> I've seen a couple of references to them converting
> material in KP 9566.

..but they do not offer a product that does this convertion, do they?

> > > Maybe you will be able to explain why OOo has support for
> > > countries / languages / writing systems on the Country embargo
> > > list, then.
>
> > If nobody names them I cannot comment on them.
>
> a) I have named the other countries / languages / writing systems.

But you're unwilling to give reference to the post where you mentioned
tho those lanugages/countries or to name them again?

A great basis for a discussion.

> b) I have not named the OOo NLP Team.

And what has this to do with the topic again?

> > Again: It was not the korean language or the korean writing system that was
> > rejected.
>
> What is KP 9566-97 if not an encoding scheme for a version of the
> Korean Writing System, then?
>
> What is KP 9566-2003 if not an encoding scheme for a version of the
> Korean Writing System, then?

Read my lips: Neither the korean language, nor any korean script/writing
system was rejected. As you mentioned yourself: These character sets are
covered within unicode.

What was rejected is a feature that could be interpreted as an act in
making a tailored version for the NK-market, because this character
encodings have no significance outside NK/they always relate to NK in
some way.

> > What was rejected is a feature only useful to NK (or people having to do
> > with NK). While this is not necessarily true 100%, the concern is:
>
> I wrote a python script to convert KP 9566-97 to Unicode.
> I didn't write it because it might help somebody in PDRK.  I wrote it
> because I had a text document that used that encoding.

And these text documents came from where? NK? From a national of NK? ->
here you go.

> > What other patches for languages/countries on the embargo list are you
> > talking about?
>
> Take a look at Issue # 34007, for one.

And what do you want to tell with this again? How does fit into this
discussion?
How can this be taken as "tailoring the product for an embargoed
country"?

If you mean Syric script - this clearly is a language thing and
furthermore no special addition to support Syric script, just to
correctly mark the scripts as CTL (as many others). Syric language is
used in far more countries than Syria - whereas the encoding (not
language) this discussion is about is used exclusively in NK (with the
few exceptions that prove the rule).

> > A version of OOo that inlcudes the patch solves these problems.
>
> That requires a fork in OOo --- something I'm not opposed to, btw.

I wouldn't call it a fork if it is only "keeping a single patch in sync
with the upcoming versions"

ciao
Christian
--