Hi,
On 2008-01-11, at 14:44 , André Schnabel wrote:

Hi,

and thanks for bringing the proposal to a public list.

Louis Suarez-Potts schrieb:

* I want to be a Regional Community Lead! I want to be a Regional Community Lead! What shall I do? Simple. Write to the [EMAIL PROTECTED] list a proposal and we'll take on from there.

Oh, I never even thought of that 8-)
About what? That more people want to become Regional Community leads or thet they should ask at a public list about that. While I am looking forward to the first, I hope the latter is obvious ;)

Well, I was exaggerating.....

If I get all this right, (and sorry for the very German style to get all things in structures), regional Community leads will have similar tasks like Native Lang Community leads have now.

Sort of; this is still in flux and will depend on the situation.

Bu they will step in at locations where that language-based "Community-Setup"does not work very well (e.g. Inda, Africa because we have a mix of languages in a given region - or US, Australia, England, because we have only one language in different regions with different cultures)?

That depends on the situation, I think. In India, I think a regional community lead makes sense and it could also make sense elsewhere-- Africa, as I suggested. But let's see if it really works. I see a crucial requirement being able to represent the technical elements of OOo to the regional foss community, for instance, meaning that the role would be fairly demanding. But the goal is really to help form developer / high-level communities.

Looking at the structures those regional leads need to have close contact with the native lang projects (of their region as well as global), correct?

Yes. And I'd imagine that there will be huge overlap, as Charles hinted.

You know, sometimes I do presentations about our poject's structures and hw you can join. So I just like to know, where all thiswould fits in.

I think this can be considered an experiment of sorts. I do think we need regional mentors worldwide who can help new and relatively inexperienced developers learn how to work with OOo, and that this is one way of achieving that. But for this idea to work in fact we also need for the developer projects to take the regional lead seriously; a role without legitimacy is a joke, after all.

So, I am not sure precisely how this fits in--in part b/c it's novel and in part because I also tend instinctively to anti-bureaucracy and codified roles, despite the evidence to the contrary. But in places like India, Africa (though Sophie thinks the situation there won't be changed by having a regional community lead), to name two, having someone who can help form developer communities (and also other contributor groups) seems important. And it doesn't seem to me that we've succeeded without such persons, though the Indic teams' work has been good and Dwayne's has been remarkable.

André

Best
Louis