Hi,

On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 at 05:57, Jaroslav Tulach <jaroslav.tul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Using implementation dependency is a hack of the last resort. It is certainly
> not something we should encourage.
>
> Long time ago there was a discussion about eliminating friend dependencies. We
> haven't made any changes in the friend dependencies area, but it was clear we
> see them as problematic.
>
> Implementation dependency is way worse. It is at most good for quick and
> private hacking (actually I am about to use it soon for prototyping). However
> publishing a plugin NBM with implementation dependency to general consumption
> is a heresy of the biggest kind. It makes it non-portable across derivatives -
> CoolBeans, Ideal Graph Visualizer and maybe even Linux distributions!

Following on from this, and the re-rolled vote on Maven artefacts for
NB 11.1 because of mismatched implementation versions, I was wondering
about the best resolution for this going forward.

This is not to encourage implementation dependencies any further,
although until we do eliminate the annoyance that is friend
dependencies (or at least provide ways to externally override) this is
going to happen!

We should be moving towards more reproducible builds.  Having
different binary builds of the same sources have different
implementation versions is problematic.  One option is having the git
hash (or similar) be the implementation version.

However, what would be the pros and cons or possibilities of making
implementation and specification versions the same?  Given we already
increment all specification versions between releases, this should
achieve the same purpose for anyone not utilising daily builds?