> > Generally we are
> too strict with our APIs outside the platform. Nobody is really building
> products on top of the other clusters ...

> Speak for yourself! ;-)

> Actually, if you consider plugins (like Android support), derivative
IDEs (like mine) and custom distributions (like yours) these things
affect lots of other projects outside of those just using the platform
cluster.

Well, I do speak for myself and only myself.

I think having  proper APIs is a guarantee of sorts the project gives users.

Still, too restrictive API will make users find "creative" solutions.

So by being too rigid in the absolute quality you provide will somehow make
things worse overall.

NetBeans is in another phase now and the whole desktop IDE/platform space
is in another place in the industry. NetBeans is being much too
conservative with its APIs. And, interestingly, even people that like
conservative APIs get tired of it because if you are stuck on a given
version you don't care how easy future migrations are (since they will not
happen, really) but start caring more about the lack of customization you
can do due to a too tight API surface.

--emi

sâm., 3 aug. 2019, 15:36 Neil C Smith <neilcsm...@apache.org> a scris: