De : Dmitry Avtonomov <dmitriy.avtono...@gmail.com>
Envoyé : lundi 28 octobre 2019 02:01
À : dev@netbeans.apache.org
Objet : Clarify how to use locally built platform with maven

Hello everyone,
This is a continuation thread on using a locally built platform for "NB
Platform App with Maven". I still can't figure out how to produce and consume
maven platform artefacts locally.

Tim has provided this nice script and pom that builds the platform/ide and
installs jars, nbms, poms, whatnot, into local maven repo:
https://github.com/timboudreau/netbeans-local-maven-repo-populator as
RELEASExxx (xxx of your choice).

I ran it with specifying RELEASE123, all went fine and in my local .m2 repo I
see things like
'~\.m2\repository\org\netbeans\modules\org-netbeans-core\RELEASE123'
alongside with RELEASE110, for example, which was downloaded by maven when I
tried building a test app.
Now in IDE 11.2-vc1 I updated maven indexes. Then I try to create a 'Java with
Maven -> NetBeans Application'. The wizard dropdown shows me platforms
:RELEASE90,RELEASE100, RELEASE110, RELEASE111, dev-SNAPSHOT. But not
RELEASE123 which I have just built and which is in my local repo.

I have tried still creating an app selecting RELEASE111 from the dropdown menu.
This action creates 3 projects named:
x-app, x-branding, x-parent. Now in the produced projects "RELEASE111"
literal is found in only one place, in x-parent's pom.xml properties:

<properties><netbeans.version>RELEASE111</netbeans.version>

First I tried x-parent project's "Build with Dependencies". That works and then
I can "Run" the x-app project.

Then tried changing RELEASE111 to RELEASE123 int x-parent's pom and "Build with
Dependencies" again. This time I get errors (warnings) about module
versions:

Warning - could not install some modules:
com.mycompany.mavenproject19.branding - The module
org.netbeans.api.annotations.common was requested in version >= 1.33 but only
1.32 was found.
Warning - could not install some modules:
mavenproject19-branding - The module Common Annotations was requested in
version >= 1.33 but only 1.32 was found.

But those versions are not listed in pom files anywhere. I understand that
these are implementation versions that I used to specify manually in each
module's properties with the Ant build. If I run the app built with those
warnings, it shows a dialog offering to turn those modules off of course.

When I built my app previously, I downloaded zip files with the platform from
nb website, tweaked the harness, registered all this in "Tools -> NetBeans
Platforms" as a new named platform (e.g. nb-81-with-my-harness) and then
specified that platform name when creating new projects. I want to switch to
maven as I can't do manual dependency resolution anymore, but I don't see how
to consume the self-built platform in that scenario.

People working on their apps, and fixing stuff in the platform as they go about
it, I think, is a good way to get more involvement in the platform development.

Please help, any input is welcome!
I've seen a few requests on this mailing list recently asking roughly the same
questions about hacking on the NBP itself. I believe that this is in the save
vein - I want to port my application to the new platform and be able to hack on
the platform in case I stumble upon issues. Have not figured out how to do that
with maven yet.

Thank you,
Dmitry