I want to not be dependent on the platform nbms published to Central or any
other online repository. I want to be able to clone NB sources from Github,
disconnect from the internet, and create a maven-based platform app with
just that. If the platform I build the app against ever becomes unavailable
online, I want to still be able to build the app.

Like exactly the same as what Geertjan is showing in the first video from
[1]: https://youtu.be/VC8gQJknPaU. He builds netbeans from sources,
registers the built platform using the UI for that in Netbeans IDE (Tools
-> Netbeans Platforms) and creates a NBP app that uses that platform. I
wanted to do the same, but the maven way.

[1] https://netbeans.apache.org/participate/build-run-debug-tutorials.html