In my corporate environment, I have to face 3 major challenges when I need
to get access to the internet:
1) NTLM authentication
2) Self signed certificate
3) Black/white listing

Each time we need to figure out how to solve those issues.

For 1, we use cntlm which allows us to consistently be authenticated and
configure our tools to use this local proxy
Point 2 is often more challenging since our company uses a self signed
certificate. There are 2 options, install the certificate in the tools
trusted cert repo (cacert for Java) or let the tool ignore certification
issues (not a good idea)
Last but not least, point 3 is the most challenging since our proxy doesn’t
really block Jars and Nbms, but returns empty (0k) files, which often
result in really strange error messages when your are used to it. Here the
only solutions are to white list the URL (long and tedious internal
security process but the most sustainable) or manually install the files
downloaded from somewhere else.

Hope it helps

Cheers