Silly question how easy is it to migrate some contrib code into a module?

Is it as simple as
(1) generating a new module,
(2) import/move code in, and
(3) add any needed additional module hooks as needed?

Maybe a pointer to building modules would best for me to look for and go from
there.

Eric Bresie
ebre...@gmail.com