On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 1:27 AM Nils Hoffmann <nils.hoffm...@web.de> wrote:
> Will the contrib projects move into the main NetBeans git, or will they be
> hosted in a separate repository?

My recommendation would be neither: discard the very notion of a
contrib repository (deleting any references from `nbbuild/` and
`apisupport/`; see `ModuleListParser.FOREST` for example); host any
contributed modules each in their own repository (except in cases of
obvious grouping such as `autoproject.*`); and use either the external
Ant harness or (preferably) Maven to build against a particular
NetBeans binary platform.

The downside is that you lose any easy continuous integration (so
contrib modules could be broken by incompatible changes in base
modules), but I think this is a tolerable price to pay for the
flexibility of independent permission management, release cycle, etc.

Of course if there is interest in including a particular module
currently in `contrib/` into the official IDE distribution then it
would need to be in a subdirectory of `apache/netbeans`, but hosting
in an independent repository at the outset does not preclude the
possibility of merging it into the main repository later, assuming the
IDE continues to be built from a monorepo.