On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 5:10 PM Eirik Bakke <eba...@ultorg.com> wrote:

> > Aside from that, for 12.0, should we downplay the usage of nb-javac as
> much as possible and not make it so prominently available -- we should be
> encouraging the usage of the latest LTS, which is 11 and not 8.
>
> I'm concerned that "downplaying" nb-javac will discourage us from
> maintaining it.

I guess I think we should reduce the intensity of NetBeans pushing the user
to download nb-javac, which I think is what Geertjan says. There is a
number of reasons to that - over the past few years, the gap between
NetBeans+nb-javac and NetBeans+recent JDK javac got much smaller, having
nb-javac is in some cases even undesirable (as NetBeans is still using the
JDK 13-based nb-javac, no JDK 14 language features are available, AFAIK),
etc. So pushing users hard to install nb-javac while they run on JDK 14
does not seem very good to me. (What to do when running on JDK 13 is
unclear to me.)

Jan