Hi all,

We’re getting close to the 12.0 release and nb-javac won’t be available at
the time of release. What nb-javac provides is detailed elsewhere but in
summary it is a fork of the  javac finetuned to the Java Editor in
NetBeans. It can’t be donated to Apache NetBeans because it is a javac fork
and hence GPL licensed, so Oracle does not want to donate it and Apache
projects can’t be released with it.

Ultimately, we’d like to drop the need for nb-javac completely. That will
simplify things a lot. Plus, that is increasingly possible because from JDK
9 onwards we’re able to use the javac from the JDK that NetBeans runs on
for the same purposes as nb-javac.

And we’ve (especially Jan Lahoda) been enhancing Apache NetBeans over the
past releases to enable the vanilla javac from the JDK on which NetBeans
runs to be used increasingly better. And ultimately, of course, this should
not be based on the JDK on which NetBeans runs, but on the JDK used by a
particular project.

Anyway, there have been one or two pull requests around the above, such as
this one:

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/pull/2108

A question is what about JDK 8. My bold suggestion would be that we
explicitly tell our users that they can’t use our Java Editor if they’re
running NetBeans on JDK 8. I’m not saying that we should drop support for
JDK 8. I’m saying we should show a message that the user should switch to
the latest supported JDK for running NetBeans itself on (which of course
does not mean that a project can’t use any earlier JDK).

Anyway, comments and thoughts welcome.

Gj