Just my 2 cents... I am all for NB having great first-class support for
development of projects that use Java 8, but I don’t care if I’m forced to run
NB itself with JDK-14.
I realize that some have projects  based on the NB platform that they want to
run on Java 8. I think if you are in that situation, you have to decide to keep
with an older version of the NB platform because we can’t hold the platform
back to Java 8 compatibility forever.

That being said, I would like to be able to change the default JDK for projects
so it is a different JDK than what NB is running on. Having to go through most
of my projects and explicitly flip them to use JDK 8 is a minor pain, and it
also makes sharing the project with a team a little more awkward as well. They
need additional configuration in NB so the right JDK can be found and we have
to share NB project files that otherwise don’t need to go into the project’s
source repo.

What is unclear to me, and it seems I’m not alone, is if NB is running on
JDK-14 without nb-javac, what do we miss when working on a project that builds
with JDK-8? Can the NB editor not use JDK-14’s javac even tough the build runs
with JDK-8?

Scott