Hi,

Hector prototyps an optimized way to give committers on github a better
chance to spot PRs with bad author information (email and/or real
name). The reason is, that github *sarcasm* helpfully */sarcasm* hides
the real author information in the UI and shows only the account
information.

My concerns regarding authorship information were triggered because I
saw bad results from the use of the squash-and-merge button.

My observation was, that a "squash-and-merge" with the github button
replaced the author information of the commits with the _public_
information of the github profile. When the author did not have public
name+email activated it was replaced with some dummy values.

I retested today and in that case it got even worse. I used two email
adresses (author + committer) that were not on github and it ended with
_me_ as the author and noreply@github as committer.

TL;DR version: From my perspective the behavior of the github GUI for
(non-merge-commit) merging is a train-wrack and can only be considered
dangerous if you want to correctly handle authorship.

I suggest to disable the squash-and-merge und rebase-and-merge buttons:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INFRA/.asf.yaml+features+for+git+repositories#id-.asf.yamlfeaturesforgitrepositories-Mergebuttons

Important: This is not a discussion about our history handling. A
committer is still free to squash manually (it is not that hard),
rebase or ask the author to squash or just merge as is. It is only
about the GUI function.

Greetings

Matthias