On Sun, 10 May 2020 at 21:05, John Neffenger <j...@status6.com> wrote:
> The commit history is the only record that remains:

I wonder if that applies to our pre-ASF commit history?! :-)

> 1. independent from any centralized hosting service, be it GitHub,
> GitLab, Bitbucket, SourceHut, or wherever else the project may move in
> the future, and

I was talking about ASF's own "paper" trail, not any third-party service.

> There's also the matter that some people, including myself, are very
> reluctant to contribute to projects that don't take care to give authors
> credit in the commit history.

No-one was suggesting otherwise!

> Just for a comparison, the OpenJDK ...
> Note also that the OpenJDK does not mark its pull requests as Merged
> (with the big purple badge) on GitHub. Instead, the tooling ...

Different project, infrastructure and requirements (eg. they require
contributor agreement).

It was an open question if there are implications with regard to our
paper trail / GitBox with merging in such a way that the commit is not
linked to closing of the PR.