Thank you for the info. jpackage was first fxpackage, then became jpackage,
then was dropped when FX was dropped, and then just returned. One of its uses
was to create installable packages, either exe, dmg or whatever your flavour of
Linux needs.

I am not fond of CLI, I believe my picture is on dart boards of Linux
aficionados everywhere 😊. I believe your CLI suggestion is using the system
installed Java runtime on your system and not the jlink Java runtime. On my
system if I went into the image folder I could get it to run with the jlink
rather than system Java with "bin\java com.mycompany.test2.App". The old Shade
plugin could do that but it required Java installed. I thought jlink working
with jpackage could do that.

Answering your email forced me to looking into the image folder. Hiding in a
file called modules in the lib folder is your code. So when you enter "bin\java
com.mycompany.test2.App" Its pulling the code from the images\lib\modules.
Therefore it does not depend on the presence of a system Java. What I am not
sure of is whether or not this image will work on a Mac or Linux, my guess is
it won't.

So it all comes back to what is the purpose of jlink if it doesn't also create
something that allows you to run your code with a single command on the command
line or as a clickable file in a GUI system. I appreciate that it creates an
instance of Java that can run your code without needing to download Java first.
It feels like NetBeans is not completing the task by just using jlink. As
always I assume the misunderstanding of its purpose is my fault.

Bringing this back to NetBeans, I think that generated code should include
comments that either explain the purpose or provide a link to documentation
that explains it. I think that jlink is an incomplete solution and that should
be explained. Could explain why modules still have not caught on. Now I will
crawl back under my rock.

Ken