On Mon, 31 Aug 2020, 21:21 Will Hartung, <willhart...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 10:41 AM Neil C Smith <neilcsm...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Personally I was in favour of dropping in 12.1 when this last came up,
> > but that would lead to no Java editing support on Java 8, and problems
> > on 11.
>
> I would think dropping support for Java 8 would be a real show stopper.

Why? I'm curious about how important it is that the IDE (or precisely
Java editing features) can always *run* on two LTS?  And likewise, how
important it is to be able to run on a JDK lower than the one you're
coding for?

Because being clear about how important that is seems to be essential
for answering Ernie's original question of if/when we move away from
nb-javac.

To me, we seem to have three courses of action open at the moment -

* Keep nb-javac as an important part of the Java editing
infrastructure until at least next Java LTS has been out for a period
of time.  In which case, we need to improve it's synchronization with
our release schedules - the point I was making elsewhere.

* Drop full Java editing support on JDK 8 now (it still works as a
text editor).  Recommend running on JDK 14+, but support 11.  Probably
lose Compile on Save?

* Keep nb-javac as legacy, and concentrate on UI changes / module
enablement, so that installation is not prompted when running on JDK
14+ (part way there), and potentially that the module is disabled even
when installed if run on a later JVM than nb-javac can handle?
Probably lose Compile on Save when working with newer Java versions?

I think Jan was also looking at running some of the editing support on
the target platform JVM, but not sure where that is at at present.
IMO, if that works and is feasible, it's a strong if not preferable
fourth contender.

They're all the options that I remember coming up - maybe there are
more - thoughts?

One of my first questions to Geertjan when asked to be on the NetBeans
PMC was how are we going to handle nb-javac - I'm still not sure that
question has been answered! :-)