I did the contrib modules - here -
https://github.com/timboudreau/netbeans-contrib

(did that stuff ever get officially donated to Apache?)

I think it's doable.  Have some (ugly, hacky, but worked), tooling I used
to generate pom files for modules and move stuff around - a project I
started in 2011 when I had to mavenize a huge project, that I just keep
around that grows a little whenever I have a refactor-lots-of-random
projects problem.

Most modules will be straightforward.  The hard part is the nbbuild
plumbing, which is very different than any Maven project type.  The maven
nbm plugin might be of some help, dunno.  Probably a lot of it could be
used as-is by the Antrun plugin (but too much of that and we've just
embedded an Ant build in a maven build, which kind of misses the point).

I'd start out by examining and cataloging *exactly* what all the stuff in
nbbuild does, make a list, or a play-by-play of doing a build noting which
pieces do what;  then for each one, make a list of standard maven tools
that could be harnessed to do those things, and the ones with nothing next
to them are the hard part.  Get that done, and the same stuff used to
convert contrib ought to be able to successfully convert most modules in
the codebase without much problem - all of those were written as NetBeans
source-tree modules, so other than a handful that do something unusual when
building, that ought to do the job.

-Tim

--
http://timboudreau.com