On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 10:04 PM Matthias Bläsing <mblaes...@doppel-helix.eu>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 21.04.2021, 11:01 -0700 schrieb Ernie Rael:
> > If I take random files, all of which are GPL-CPE, and bundle those into
> > a jar and put it in maven central then can I call it GPL-CPE?
>
> everytime a license question comes up, the only right answer is: Ask
> _your_ lawyer (and be prepared to sue him if he is wrong).
>
> Jokes aside, yes, that is what I would assume. The crux is this
> sentence:
>
>    Certain source files distributed by Oracle America and/or its
>    affiliates are subject to the following clarification and special
>    exception to the GPL, but only where Oracle has expressly included
>    in the particular source file's header the words "Oracle designates
>    this particular file as subject to the "Classpath" exception as
>    provided by Oracle in the LICENSE file that accompanied this code."
>
> [...] Certain source files [...] - all would be so much easier, if this
> would have been make unconditional.
>
> So whoever releases nb-javac, at this point Anton Epple made the binary
> released on maven central available, could remove that disclaimer and
> we would be done:
>

> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LEGAL-563?focusedCommentId=17311712&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-17311712
>
> The interesting question: Are either Anton Epple or Oracle willing to
> remove the uncertainty?
>
> I followed Jaroslavs Analysis of the source and did an independed scan
> of the codebase and came up with the same conclusion as Jaroslav.
>
> In the end there needs to be a license file, that clarifies, that the
> whole binary is subject to the classpath exception.
>
> > It's too bad the question asked at the end of
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/LEGAL/issues/LEGAL-563 was not
> > answered.

Does it help that all the files making up nb-javac, when scanned for CPE,
only the files that will not end up in the JAR are not covered by CPE?
Since a PMC should be fully capable of reading and understanding a simple
list of conditions that applies to the specific work that the PMC intends
to distribute and since the nb-javac JAR meets the conditions, don't we
already have permission to redistribute under our own license?

Gj