After manually setting my default netbeans jdk_home to successfully install
java 11 azul JDK, the plugins and activation and the download new open jdks
seems to work okay.

So maybe all of this was a side effect of running a newer (as default
JDK).  Not sure if there is something needed going forward but maybe this
is the start of something going forward when newer JDK/JREs are introduced.

Since I was using Java 15 the unpack200 which I believe is removed by this
time may have prevented the plugins from getting handled correctly.  Assume
this may be related to  NETBEANS-2842 Using of deprecated pack200 tool in
nbm packaging.  See JEP 367: Remove the Pack200 Tools and API (java.net)
<https://openjdk.java.net/jeps/367>

Unreleased but after changing the JDK home from 15 to 11, the Tools...Java
Platform for the 15 JDK which was there previously appears to have been
removed and replaced by the java 11 (default).  I would have expected Java
15 to remain just not the default any more.  Now I'll have to reregister it
I assume

Eric Bresie
ebre...@gmail.com