On 11.08.22 21:50, Neil C Smith wrote:
On Thu, 11 Aug 2022 at 17:15, László Kishalmi <laszlo.kisha...@gmail.com> wrote:
OMG!
Just had some time to look at this. Unfortunately, I think it is serious.
Due to wrong bit-shifts the id-s for MAC_OS and LINUX has been changed,
which would mean a serious incompatibility as AFAIK the compiler puts
actual value of these fields into the bytecode.
That would cause third-party plugin compatibility issues whenever the
plugin would use those constants directly.
I hate to say it, but I think it is a reason for RC4
No problem!  Thanks for looking.  They're compile time constants - I'd
already come around to this being something that requires fixing
before release.

Do we have a PR fixing those bit-shifts or shall I create one?
I noticed you've already created one, so many thanks!  Looking back at
that initial change, some other things stick out -

* Some constants have been removed as well - they should probably just
be deprecated.
* Masks need looking at too - they're also compile time constants.
* The lib.profiler files might need looking at too (and I'd missed
noticing the tabcontrol change).
* Sig files have been changed to reflect the removed constants.  Not
sure if this was done to make tests pass or just as part of cleaning
up, but changes (particularly deletions) in .sig files should lead to
some review questions!
* Why did the sig tests not complain about the constant value changes?
Somewhat defeats the point of having the values in the files if the
test passes.

All in all, I'm somewhat in favour of reverting that whole clean-up PR
rather than trying to retro-patch it.  Might be safer?!

yeah this sounds like something we should revert. Since it is a cleanup PR, reverting it should be safe. I think there won't be any conflicts either since the diff changes stable code.

btw I am not sure how i missed this in the review, I even mentioned the launcher in the comment which doesn't make a lot of sense to me now, given that most of the changes are not in launcher code. My only explanation is that I haven't seen the changes in platform/ which is the last bit on the diff for some reason. Sorry about that.

-mbien

Not around much until next week now, but will look to merge and build
rc4 next week unless someone else on releases wants to.  There's a few
other things can merge too.