Hi,

> I'm not sure we link them in from anywhere?

They are linked.

Click on "download" at NB home page and you're here:
   https://netbeans.apache.org/download/nb15/

First download link is netbeans-15-bin.zip.

We, here at FormDev Software, use both.

netbeans-15-bin.zip is used to auto-extract some JARs needed to check binary/source compatibility of JFormDesigner plugin.
We also use it on Linux.

netbeans-15-source.zip is used for debugging JFormDesigner plugin.
Development of JFormDesigner is mostly done in Eclipse and we have launch scripts to debug JFormDesigner plugin in all supported NetBeans versions.

I think netbeans-15-bin.zip is useful for people that can not (or do not want) use the installers. Simply extract it and run it.
Also useful for Linux users.

netbeans-15-source.zip could be useful for NB platform development.

The easiest way to find out whether they are widely used would be to have some download numbers...

Karl (DevCharly)