Dne středa 26. října 2022 5:48:28 CET, Laszlo Kishalmi napsal(a):
> I kind of like the idea let nb-javac go, not depend more on it.

Guys,
you are looking at the problem from an IDE perspective. However NetBeans is
also a platform!

When designing frameworks and libraries that shall be widely adopted it is
important to increase portability as much as possible. If an API can be used
on different systems, different configurations, the amount of users including
such API in their applications grows. There are hundreds of applications
written on top of NetBeans Platform are cannot force them to run on latest JDK
only.

Supporting the ancient JDK gives the application writers using NetBeans as a
framework a freedom to choose their JDK. The application writers can then run
on oldest or newest JDK. That's the kind of freedom they want.

We have all seen what problems happen when an important 3rd party library
(Lucene) decides to drop support for older JDK. NetBeans Platform was always
well known for carrying about its users - I certainly value everyone who
builds its app on top of NetBeans Platform.

Many of such applications are still running on JDK8. Hence I want NetBeans
Platform to run fine on JDK8.

-jt

PS: I am not a guy who wants to live in past, however! That's why I am offering
you various ways to move forward, without hurting NetBeans Platform
Portability.